Piping and Instrumentation Diagram Coordinator
While the Layout Lead focuses on development of a functional plant arrangement, the Design Coordinator (DC) role focuses more on the HATCH systems where:
SYSTEM = PEOPLE + PROCESSES + TOOLS
The DC has a combination of systems, engineering and design process knowledge. The DC provides support to the Engineering Manager, Layout Lead, engineers and designers. The DC is responsible for monitoring project setup compliance, monitoring systems outputs, and the setup, scheduling, execution and management of plant area design reviews.
The DC role can be assumed by the Layout Lead in some circumstances. Additional DCs may be required for major projects where there are: Tight schedules where all plant design review areas are on the same release schedule High numbers of designers (100+) A large number of design review areas.
- Understand the owner/user requirements and the project mission.
- Understand overall layout and function of each plant area.
- Monitor all design systems to ensure all systems appropriately support the design standards/criteria for all disciplines. Assist with resolution of any issues.
- Ensure management are aware of risks associated with any systems assumptions (e.g. steel supplier country not selected in FEL4).
- Ensure users have access to all required procedures, standards and criteria.
- Ensure all disciplines are following project model/drawing production procedures and guidelines.
- Setup design review files for each plant area.
- Schedule regular area design reviews with area discipline leads and area engineer. Minute the meetings and follow up actions required.
- Ensure model and drawing progress measurement is reporting appropriately.
- Monitor discipline system reports and review actions required with disciplines.
- Coordinate with client representatives as required for key design review sign off.
- Ensure continuous coordination between the functional groups as design develops.
- Ensure clash detection is properly setup and used, and interferences are resolved.
- Facilitate project reviews as required for design, operability, maintainability, constructability and HAZOP etc.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum seven years experience on major projects in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Extensive experience in the use of procedures and workflow in the execution of projects.
- Functional knowledge of all project discipline systems, design and reporting processes.
- Good working knowledge of design review and reporting technologies used for the project.
- Overall understanding of maintainability, constructability, procurement, commissioning, safety and operating issues related.
- Good understanding of interdisciplinary dependencies in a project environment.
- Good organizational skills.
- Strong leadership and coordination skills.
- Well developed communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills.