The Layout Lead focuses on the development of a functional plant arrangement. The layout lead provides input to engineering management, engineering leads and senior designers, and is responsible for:
- All activities related to the physical arrangement project assets (equipment, maintenance, buildings, space, commodities, roads, rail, utilities etc.) within the boundary of the project.
- Coordination of all changes affecting the layout with each functional group.
- Understand the owner/user requirements and the project mission.
- Support the project kickoff meetings and site visits as required Assist in interpreting the plant PFDs, P&IDs and plant battery limits and constraints.
- Assist with the development of the Engineering Work Packages (EWPs) for all activities specific to layout and general arrangement development.
- Assist with the man hour budgets for all deliverables and time related activities related to the layout group.
- Provides input to the deliverables list for the work to be performed by the design team (plot plan, general arrangements, models, studies, etc.).
- Assist with the preparation and issue of the project-specific layout design criteria (if required).
- Coordinate with client representatives in all matters related to layout of the plant.
- Responsible for development of the facility layouts within the plant to the point where each functional group can effectively begin their design.
- Review, coordinate and obtain approval for all layout changes.
- Ensure continuous coordination between the functional groups as design develops that affects the layout of the assigned plant.
- Resolve clashes where the clash will impact the layout Prioritize allocation of space.
- Participate in client and internal project meetings.
- Assign work (via signed off EWPs) to layout designers and continuously monitor progress and quality of general arrangements.
- Review, check and approve all facility layouts and general arrangements to ensure conformity to the project specific layout design criteria.
- Monitor design progress and develop corrective actions if required.
- Participate in and assist with the conduct of project reviews such as reviews for constructability, operability maintainability, HAZOP etc.
- Assist with development and monitoring of budgets and schedules Provide a safe, clean and maintainable plant layout.
- Where needed, design plant layout to meet the project modularization and pre-assembly requirements.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 10 years layout experience on major multi-discipline projects, for the project type.
- Minimum three years layout experience on the type of facility being designed.
- Good understanding of maintainability, constructability, safety and operating issues related to the equipment.
- Good understanding of interdisciplinary dependencies in a project environment.
- Strong ability to analyze consequences of layout changes and prioritize best solutions as design progresses.
- Good organizational skills and ability to manage individuals to attain quality, cost and schedule objectives.
- Strong leadership and coordination skills.
- Well developed communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- A high degree of understanding of construction methodologies.
- A high degree of understanding of commissioning methodologies.
- Extensive experience and understanding in the use of procedures and workflow in the execution of projects.
- Reasonable experience and understanding in the application of design systems for the discipline that support a 3D data centric design environment.
- Engineering degree or equivalent.