Mechanical Designer is responsible for the production of mechanical layouts, models and drawings in accordance with project requirements under the supervision of the Lead Mechanical Engineer. The Mechanical Designer is required to apply experience and specialized/advanced engineering principles at conceptual level.
The position requires sound knowledge in the design of project specific mechanical components or systems, as well as fundamental knowledge of the plant processes.
- Understand the owner/user requirements and the project mission.
- Assist in interpreting the plant PFDs, P&IDs, and plant battery limits and constraints.
- Prepare and manage contract drawings, record keeping and other statistical work.
- Prepare 3D equipment modeling and 3D design. Perform conceptual layout work.
- Check drawings prior to release.
- Develop design details.
- Perform the design and drafting of mechanical plant models using applicable standards, project technical specifications and enterprise or project procedures.
- Execute designs following the mechanical and layout design criteria developed specifically for the project as well as the defined regulations, codes, and standards.
- Apply the design criteria throughout the evolution of the design. Use vendor data, drawings and information to develop and verify the model.
- Create and maintain check sheets for all equipment as vendor data is received.
- Back model all changes as required.
- Ensure coordination with designers and engineers of other disciplines.
- Perform clash detection of models with other discipline models.
- Provide material quantity take offs for estimating purposes or inclusion into bulk commodity purchases and installation contracts.
- Generate 2D drawings from the 3D model as required by the project.
- In conjunction with engineering staff, prepare design concepts for both internal and client review.
- In conjunction with engineering staff, produce detailed engineering drawings and documentation for identified and approved concepts/projects.
- Participation in formal engineering review processes.
- Conduct operability and maintainability reviews, walk-throughs and HAZOPs.
- Conduct constructability reviews and HAZOPs.
- Use model as basis for HAZOPs during the above reviews.
Qualifications and Experience
- Engineering diploma (N Dip) or equivalent (mechanical).
- Minimum of five years mechanical design experience.
- Experience within a large project, multidisciplinary EPCM environment.
- Ability to design in a 3D model environment.
- Detailed design and modeling skills for the plant layout of mechanical equipment.
- Knowledge of industry or regulatory standards, regulations and codes pertinent to the design and systems related to the project.
- Understanding of other discipline requirements.
- Proficient in the use of MicroStation.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good safety awareness.
- Able to function in a structured corporate environment.
- Professional engineering technician (Pr. Tech) registration with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA), Registered Professional Engineer Queensland or other region equivalent.
- Experience in the use of procedures and workflows in the execution of projects.