Lead Piping Engineer
The Senior Piping Stress Engineer is responsible for stress analysis and pipe support design to ensure the regulatory code compliance and integrity of piping systems designed by Hatch. The Senior Piping Stress Engineer provides guidance and leadership to the stress analysis team to meet the required project schedules and budgets.
- Ensure that all Hatch designed piping is analyzed in accordance with the relevant sections of mandatory health and safety standards, including any pressure piping regulation or code referred to within the required jurisdiction for the project, with due consideration of relevant client engineering standards.
- Assist in preparing a list of engineering deliverables and time based functions to facilitate the planning and control of the piping budget.
- Ensure coordination between the piping stress team and other disciplines of all activities being performed as the design evolves.
- Ensure the quality of engineering work and that audits are carried out in accordance with project/Hatch procedures. Maintain all technical documentation.
- Provide input to proposal and man-hour estimates.
- Train and mentor stress analysts and provide guidance on Hatch standards and quality requirements.
- Promote and maintain the application of ethical and professional practices in the execution of piping engineering work.
- Adhere to and promote the Hatch corporate safety culture.
- Stress analyze, check and approve piping systems and pipe support designs in accordance with project requirements, design input parameters, codes and standards and industry best practice.
- Prepare, check and approve design calculations including calculations for pressure, pipe wall thickness, branch reinforcement, pipe supports and attachments to meet code requirements.
- Review piping scope and identify all critical and non-critical lines.
- Determine the piping loads at foundations structures, vessels, equipment and transmit them to the related disciplines to incorporate.
- Assess applied piping loads on equipment and vessels against allowable design loads.
- Work with other disciplines and suppliers where necessary, to confirm loads on equipment are acceptable.
- Prepare project pipe stress specification and related technical documentation.
- Communicate and follow up on the results of stress analysis with piping design and other disciplines to optimize design and ensure an outcome beneficial to project success.
- Review layouts, and area studies with respect to pipe stress analysis and pipe support requirements. Define expansion loop requirements.
- Specification and requisitioning of specialty piping items associated with stress analysis
- e.g. spring hangers and expansion joints.
- Approval of piping isometric drawings, to ensure correct application of piping specifications and conformance with pipe stress and support requirements.
- Review standard and special pipe support design and materials.
- Support the resolution of piping issues during project lifecycle, including planning phase, design, procurement, fabrication, construction and commissioning.
Qualifications and Experience
- BSc/B.Eng in mechanical or equivalent
- Registration as a professional engineer
- Minimum eight years piping engineering experience with a minimum five years on projects or equivalent relevant experience
- Proficiency in pipe support design
- Strong technical skills and sound knowledge of piping codes and standards
- Experienced in static and dynamic stress analysis
- Strong deliverable focus, ability to plan and delegate work
- Experience in Caesar II, AutoPIPE and other relevant computer pipe stress software packages
- Experience in the technical review of vendor drawings and supplier engineering data
- Good understanding of procurement, contracting and commissioning methodologies
- Good understanding of systems and workflows as they relate to the piping discipline
- Thorough understanding of the Hatch Health, Safety, Environment and Community (HSEC) policy and standards
- Good technical knowledge of piping engineering, including specifications P&ID development, line sizing and material selection
- Well developed communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Site experience in a piping technical role
- Good leadership skills
- A high degree of understanding of interdisciplinary dependencies related to the discipline
- Ability to motivate individuals to attain quality, cost and schedule objectives
- Experience in the specification and requisitioning of specialist flexibility components
- Experience in preparing and approving piping engineering calculations
- Experience in isometric production and approval.
- Experience working on large projects in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Good knowledge of 3D data centric design systems.
- Strong ability to delegate tasks and promote the effective performance of team members.
- Experience in mentoring junior engineers and designers.
- Extensive experience in the use of procedures and workflows in the execution of projects.
- Strong client focus.