Lead Structural Engineer
The Structural Designer is responsible for the production of civil/structural 3D models and 2D drawings in accordance with project requirements under the supervision of the Lead Designer. The Structural Designer is required to apply specialized and/or advanced engineering principles at conceptual level.
The Structural Designer participates in a wide range of projects covering civil foundations and concrete and steel structures in a wide range of industries such as mining, heavy industrial and infrastructure. Activities include site investigation and civil/structural steel modeling for both front end planning studies and the detailed engineering phase for multidisciplinary projects.
- Coordinate the work of draftspersons and senior draftspersons in the preparation of contract drawings, record keeping and other statistical work.
- Produce and maintain technical and engineering drawings using 3D CAD software as required.
- Perform conceptual layout work.
- Develop design details.
- Check drawings prior to release.
- Ensure coordination with designers and engineers of other disciplines.
- Perform clash detection of models with other discipline models.
- In conjunction with engineering staff, prepare design concepts for both internal and client review.
- In conjunction with engineering staff, produce detailed engineering drawings and documentation for identified and approved concepts/projects.
- Participation in formal engineering review processes.
- Verify onsite condition and dimensions relating to existing facilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Engineering diploma (N Dip) or equivalent (civil/structural).
- Minimum of five years civil/structural design experience.
- Experience within a large project, multidisciplinary EPCM environment.
- Ability to design in a 3D environment.
- Experience with heavy industrial structures and their foundations.
- Knowledge of industry or regulatory standards, regulations and codes pertinent to the design and systems related to the project.
- Understanding of other discipline requirements.
- Proficient in the use of MicroStation.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good safety awareness.
- For work in South Africa, professional engineering technician (Pr. Tech) registration with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) or other relevant country registration.
- Experience in the use of procedures and workflows in the execution of projects.